Saturday, August 14, 2010

Is it really over?

Four more days before I leave this blissful independence and go back to school to try to become a social creature again. I have already left my internship, bidding farewell to endless Keurig K-Cups, abundant office supplies, dizzying Excel spreadsheets, and a 45-minute morning and afternoon commute.

I know it's time to get back to hitting the books and practicing with the team, but part of me is going to miss New England more than ever this year. Last summer, it rained 21 of the 30 days of June. This year, I can recall one rained-out long ride, and one run where it drizzled, which was actually more refreshing than frustrating. I have gotten to experience the outdoors here like never before... I'm already making a list of what I missed so I can visit around Christmas, when everything will probably be buried under a foot of snow.

For my last weekend home, I've decided to stick around rather than drive somewhere for a weekend trip. Today, I rode the long way around to northern Rhode Island, hugging the coast. My amazing "triathlon support crew" met me there with a car and set up an awesome T2 - shoes set out next to the running hat with more than one fluid option... I felt like a pro. It was only 55 degrees when I hopped in the saddle this morning, but by the time I finished my ride, it must have been around 80. I dropped the bike and made a quick transition to a nice run with some of the best views I've seen yet this summer. Don't hate on Rhode Island cause it's little. So by 1pm, I'd ridden 90 miles in 5 hours and run about 6 miles in 45 minutes. I'm starting to feel like this ironman thing could really happen!


Views from Dartmouth, MA. It was so nice out there today, I could have taken hundreds of pictures, but I decided to spend the five hours pedalling like I was supposed to.

Maybe some Malibu canyon climbs next week? Painful, but usually worth the view. Plus, from what I hear, Silverman doesn't boast the flattest bike course in the country, so it's probably time to start climbing real hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment